Thursday, May 14, 2009

Samoyoa.

Now we have Samoyoa. These are back to back, but I forgot I wanted to say something about the typical food here. Se me olvido.

They eat breakfast for dinner, is the weirdest part to me. Dinner is usually black beans and pancakes, or eggs, or platanos fritos. Or some combination of that. Lunch is the big meal of the day, which I´m not fond of because I´m ready for a nap in the afternoon already and I have to be in class then. Doña Madelin thinks I´m crazy because I don´t want anything other than cereal and fruit for breakfast.

Some of the Guatemaltecos favorites are the platanos fritos, or fried plantains, with cream and sugar...really?! And they like this local soft cheese or cream with their black beans, which are usually either whole (parados) or pureed (volteados). They eat pan dulce with just about every meal, and only drink instant coffee. I JUST started drinking coffee, and I´m punished with living in a country that drinks, as one volunteer described it, coffee flavored VitaminWater. Oh, I crack up when they pull out the honey for tha pancakes. And they love to drink fruit juice with lunch. Always freshly whipped up, usually mango, papaya, or fresa con leche.

And now my time is up. I should have made this all into one, but whatever. It´ll suffice!

Adios.

1 comment:

  1. I just read all of your blogs and loved it! Sounds like you are getting quite an education down there. Try the fried platanos mixed with the black beans and rice bc that was one of my fave dishes in Venezuela. I look forward to your next posting!
    Love you,
    Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete